One of the most important steps in the college recruiting process for golf is the college interview. Whether it’s on Skype or in an office at the University, the interview is crucial to attaining your goal.
Here are 5 strategies for college interview success:
- Practice good nonverbal communication. It’s about demonstrating confidence: standing straight, making eye contact and connecting with a firm handshake. That first nonverbal impression can be a great beginning — or quick ending — to your interview.
- Dress for success. It is important to dress appropriately and to be well-groomed.
- From the very beginning, your college interviewer is giving you information, either directly or indirectly. If you are not hearing it, you are missing a major opportunity. Good communication skills include listening and letting the person know you heard what was said.
- Be engaged in the conversation. Take care when you answer the questions! Attitude plays a key role in your interview success. You have the right to speak of your success, but there is a fine line between bragging and modesty.
- Ask open-ended questions. When asked if they have any questions, most candidates answer, “No.” Wrong answer! Part of knowing how to interview is being ready to ask questions that demonstrate an interest in what goes on. Asking questions also gives you the opportunity to find out if this is the right place for you!
Like getting ready for a tournament, the number one thing you need to do for an interview is be prepared so that you can perform your best! Remember, as much as they’re interviewing you, you are interviewing them to make sure they are the right fit for your goals.
Did you know…
GGGA has a College Assistance Program? We work with our golf students to help them navigate the process of playing golf in college. GGGA takes the stress out of the program by working with the students to review a list of over 100 potential interview questions and role-play the college interview process. Find out more about our student college placement success!